DesertHawks.org

Desert Hawks Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: HPA Powered Systems
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:05 am 
Contributor

To add to Trent's CYMA V3 Gearbox issues.... I got the Guarder NB-53 Gearbox Shell and toss in my SMP into it... Here are some results from measurement.

BTW, for future reference, the solenoid is a MAC Bullet Valve, P/N: BV214A-CB0-00-BCVA-CTA, Spec: 6.0vdc, with a 6.0W Consumption rate.
Catalog

Gearbox Measurements:
Initially TJC was saying how much further back the SMP sat in the CYMA gearbox, which makes tip of the nozzle have an open gap between the bucking, thus creating air inefficiencies. The images below should tell the story of how much difference is between the CYMA and Guarder. This is an avid topic on the Wolverine SMP page on FB.

The best bet with observing nozzle seal issues, when the gun is all up and running, note the unloaded BB feedport on the hop up if you feel air back pressure between cycles. Between dry fire cycles, observe if the nozzle tip meets the bucking. Cycle some BBs thru gun and remove the mag while the gun is upside down. There should be at least 5 bbs in the hopup chamber. 4 will roll out when you flip the gun. The last BB is in the bucking chamber. When you cycle the gun, does the BB exit out of the barrel or feed port. If the last bb came back out of the feed port, that may have signs of air back pressure. With my guarder gearbox setup with an air tight seal (with Prowin or Fox Custom Hopup, more later) that last bb should go out the barrel.

Shimming:
With the SMP (in the Guarder GB), it was a direct drop in unlike the CYMA and heavily modifying the gearbox to make it fit. Though, there is a slight movement with engine due to the wide tolerances in the engine and gearbox. Teflon tape is your best friend to shim. Below show the gap when the engine is not shimmed.

MODs to the gearbox:
There were minor mods to make with the guarder gb. Though, I assume every gearbox out there regardless if it's the same model or different will have different tolerances. My setup, I had slightly dremmeled a corner of the trigger circuit board assembly to make room for the spring to rest on the gearbox. The trigger mounting holes were slightly dremmeled due to the slim tolerance differences due to the paint (which adds mils of thickness to the surface). The fire trigger was wire brushed to clean the paint, again to minimize tolerance issues.

HOPUP Unit:
Reading forums and discussions, alot recommend the V3 Prowin or Fox Customs hopup Unit. To address alignment issues, it's best to shine some light thru the BB feed port and stare down the unloaded barrel to see the nozzle alignment. With the Prowin style hopup unit, there is a slot in the back of the hopup unit can be mounted to the gearbox. In the CYMA stock hopup unit, its mounted to the outer barrel. Which can give you millimeter of a gap which can cause air inefficiencies.

I mounted the Fox Customs unit. Though, FOX's website can be misleading. The V3 HOPUP Unit resembles the SHS Hopup unit, but it seems they have updated the style to look like the Prowin. Ordered thru AMPEDAIRSOFT. Similar price to the Prowin.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:18 pm 
Captain

Tomy, thank you. Your posts are informative and well planned. I for one appreciate the effort taken to make it so thorough.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:01 am 
Private

Just so that you all know, I broke my smp last night and I don't know if it will be up for LC.

I developed a leak in the rear of the unit. The gearbox shell I used seemed to be a one shot deal and I don't know if I can reuse it since I will have to drill out two of the screws to open it. I may be able to fix the smp but may not have a usable shell to put it in and no time to order and t week a new one.

Either way I will pull it apart tonight and hopefully I won't need any replacement parts.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:38 am 
Captain

TJC10 wrote:
Just so that you all know, I broke my smp last night and I don't know if it will be up for LC.

I developed a leak in the rear of the unit. The gearbox shell I used seemed to be a one shot deal and I don't know if I can reuse it since I will have to drill out two of the screws to open it. I may be able to fix the smp but may not have a usable shell to put it in and no time to order and t week a new one.

Either way I will pull it apart tonight and hopefully I won't need any replacement parts.

Mom always said if you keep playing with it then it's going to fall off...
I'm seriously losing interest in this platform. Two major issues in what was supposed to be drop in and make life easier and you havnt even fielded it yet. Cannibalize your RPK LMG I obviously won't be buying it since I got the support weapons I needed for the rail, or have someone hook up with Jacob bright he wants to sale a fancy cyma ak74u (cm045d?) and would probably take a pittance cash for it since he wants to buy an echo1 m4 from me. If you go the route of talking to Jacob be aware he is out of town all weekend after some point today and let me know since Id like to have someone courier his cash to me for his e1 rifle.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:16 am 
Private

Lol. If I wanted to restore the SMPed AK back to an AEG then poof it's done. I just drop in a gearbox, no problem.

The 4+ year old RPK needs a couple of pop rivets in the body where the original pins have worked themselves free. The rest is cosmetic.

The 2.5 year old RPK needs a shuttle switch, which I have, and it will be installed today.

The the over 2 year old Covert is stock and pristine.

The CXP is immaculate, but I don't have an upper gearbox that is LC limits. Easily rectified.

I have 20+ flawless AK mids, 3 working drum mags, 10 AR mids, 6 stick 7.4's, 2 nunchuck 7.4's, 5 brick 7.4's, 3 radios with more than 1 battery each.

I can build a Frankenstein M14, an AK, aND an ICS M4 out of the spare parts in my house. Not that I would want to take the time.

Now I ask you, why, in the fuck, would I want to buy a third hand AKS74 from anyone? Especially since I could ship one 2nd day from Evike for what he is asking for it.

I should be selling him a gun.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:19 am 
Private

If you need a bag man just say when and where. I will go pick up yo money.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:10 am 
Private

Returned to AEG configuration for now...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:18 am 
Captain

TJC10 wrote:
Now I ask you, why, in the fuck, would I want to buy a third hand AKS74 from anyone? Especially since I could ship one 2nd day from Evike for what he is asking for it.

I should be selling him a gun.

I misunderstood your post the , I thought you were lamenting over a one shot gearbox and not being at I use your SMP once restored. I know Jacob would take about $60 for that cyma so thought I'd suggest it. However sounds like you have it well in hand.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:08 pm 
Private

If it were an issue that I didn't cause myself, lament would be the word.

However, returning the 105 back to an AEG with the upgraded hop up, bucking, and barrel made it a fucking beast. I have the Covert and the CXP as a back up as well.

The RPK will be fielded by Buddha this year.

I think I see myself in one of these:

http://www.evike.com/products/48732/

For my next HPA build.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:38 am 
Supporter

This is an interesting thread. I may need to check the official Wolverine SMP page on FB as tomytum had mentioned, to learn more.